Three days until Outlander returns!!! And it’s New York premiere day!!! GAHHHH!!!
Sorry. Just had to get that out of my system.
With the end of Droughtlander near, I’ve been thinking a lot about Jamie Fraser, which is really out of the ordinary for me, because I almost never think about Jamie Fraser.
Okay. I can’t even type that with a straight face.
I’ve gone on and on in this blog about how much I love JAMMF, and how I’d like to make him the Literary Hunk of every month, but I don’t know if I’ve ever captured just what makes Jamie so—well, Jamie-esque. I don’t think anyone is capable of really capturing that except for Himself—or, more accurately, Herself, Diana Gabaldon, the woman who created the Scot we all swoon over.
Below are my ten very favorite things Jamie Fraser has ever said. I know that this list is hardly comprehensive, because everything that comes out of this man’s mouth is perfection, but these hold a special place in my heart.
Note: Quotes are taken from books throughout Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. If you have not read all of the books and don’t want to risk spoilers—dinna say I didna warn ye.
10. “And, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” – Dragonfly in Amber, Chapter 11
9. “Who in God’s name is John Wayne?” – Outlander, Chapter 36
8. “If he’s a decent man, it’ll make no difference. And if it does—well, then he doesna deserve ye, and I shall beat him into a pulp and stamp on the pieces, and then go and find ye a better man.”- Drums of Autumn, Chapter 47
7. “I havena been afraid for a verra long time, Sassenach,” he whispered. “But now I think I am. For there is something to be lost, now.” – Voyager, Chapter 26
6. “I draw it in defense of this woman, and the truth,” he said. “If any here be against those two, they’ll answer to me, and then God, in that order.” – Outlander, Chapter 25
5. “Ye need not be scairt of me,” he said softly. “Nor of anyone here, so long as I’m with ye.” – Outlander, Chapter 4
4. “Sassenach, I’ve been stabbed, bitten, slapped, and whipped since supper—which I didna get to finish. I dinna like to scare children and I dinna like to flog men, and I’ve had to do both. I’ve two hundred English camped three miles away and no idea what to do about them. I’m tired, I’m hungry, and I’m sore. If you’ve anything like womanly sympathy about ye, I could use a bit!” – Dragonfly in Amber, Chapter 36
3. “When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest.”
His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.
“Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God, I loved her well.”- Dragonfly in Amber, Chapter 46
2. “If one day, a bhailach,” Jamie said conversationally, “ye should meet a verra large mouse named Michael—ye’ll tell him your grandsire sends his regards.” – A Breath of Snow and Ashes, Chapter 121
1. “When the day shall come that we do part,” he said softly, and turned to look at me, “if my last words are not ‘I love you,’—ye’ll ken it was because I didna have time.” – The Fiery Cross, Chapter 111
Yeah…I’m going to need a few minutes to digest all of that.
Thank you, Jamie Fraser, for being everything you are. Thank you, Diana Gabaldon, for giving us our Jamie, for putting these words in his mouth, and for making us forget that he is fictional. And thank you, Sam Heughan, for bringing Himself to life so perfectly on screen.
Happy Tartan Affair Day to those attending! And for everyone else, 3 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss any of our Outlander posts? Dinna fash. They’re all right here!